Unconventional Veggie Chili
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup seitan, cut into chunks or strips
- 1/2 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 3 leaves of kale, chopped
- 1.5 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons hummus
- 1/2 can red kidney beans
- 1/4 cup water or veg stock (optional)
- juice from 1/2 small orange or tangerine
- nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper
- sodium-free seasonings (dried herbs)
Step 1: On medium heat, oil the pot with EVOO and add the onions and a dash of salt. Make sure the onions don’t get too brown and caramelized; you just want them to be translucent.
Step 2: Add the seitan, zucchini, and broccoli. Season to taste.
Step 3: Add the kale and let it wilt.
Step 4: Pour in the crushed tomatoes. Then mix in the BBQ sauce and hummus. The sauce should look cloudy and opaque.
Step 5: Add the beans and water or veg. stock. Throw in a few shakes of nutritional yeast. Turn the heat to medium low and let it simmer.
30-45 minutes later, or when most of the liquid has evaporated, the chili is done.
Note: Sometimes I like to keep the chili at a thinner consistency (more liquid) to serve with spaghetti.