Meatless Bean Balls
- 1 cup beans (i.e. black), cooked
- 1/4 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1 small carrot, grated/zested
- fennel leaves, finely chopped (optional)
- parsley or basil, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- salt & pepper
- seasoning of choice (dried herbs)
Step 1: Combine all ingredients. If it’s too wet, add more oats. Give it a quick taste for seasoning and then send it to the refrigerator, leaving it there for at least 1 hour.
Step 2: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll up the mixture into small “meatballs” (about 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter) and line them up onto an oiled foil-covered baking sheet.
Step 3: Bake for 18-20 minutes, flip them, then bake for another 15-18 minutes. Bean balls are ready when they’re browned and crusty. Serve with your favorite sauce over pasta or spiralized vegetables for a vegan “spaghetti and meatballs.”
Yields 16-18 balls.